Thursday, August 9, 2012

Skinny Chicken and a Whole Lot More

So you know all those yummy looking pintrest recipes that are out there? Well some I've tried have been TOTAL fails and some have been HUGE successes! One fail was the corn on the cob in the oven. Totally didn't work for me! Maybe I did it wrong or missed a direction or something but whatever it was...it didn't work! What a debacle that meal was! :) Well anyway this isn't supposed to be about my fails :) Two nights ago I decided to try out this: Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo. Now usually anything skinny, low fat, fat free, etc. I'm a little skeptical what the taste will actually be. Taste is important to me! 

Darryl and I have this discussion often. I grew up with eating being more of an event: live to eat not eat to live. My Mom always made yummy food, and often tried new recipes. Darryl grew up more on the side of eat to live not live to eat. Don't get me wrong Robin makes delicious meals, but she has more signature dishes, things she has perfected and is known for making really well. Also Darryl's family had a family business growing up and so dinner time was for eating, not for chit chat about the day, after all they'd been together all day. Even when Darryl was in school, he would come home and could go right to the "shop" with his dad for a few hours before dinner. And with owning their own business there was still some work left to do after dinner. Completely understandable. But totally different then how I grew up. My family was away from each other all day- my mom worked part time, dad worked full time and we were in school or with a sitter or other family. So when we came home and sat down to eat dinner it was the first time we were really getting to talk or see each other for the day. 

All of that being said we've had some compromises to make and some difference to overcome. :) But a discussion we still have (and often at that) is the taste of food. I try hard to make things that taste amazing! Darryl doesn't think so much about the taste of food. We've discussed many times about how much it would mean to me if he could try show some excitement about the taste of the food that I make, because it is important to me. 

So, one time shortly after we had this discussion I made Shepherds Pie. We sat down to eat and Darryl took one bite, looked up and said something like, "Kelley, this is so good. Kids you should really eat this because mommy did such a great job and it tastes really good." I mean he went on and on about it. What a great guy! I, however, started busting up laughing- like tears in my eyes laughing! 

Was it that I was so happy that finally I had created something that WOWED Darryl? I wish!!!! The shepherds pie recipe I made went like this: Open two cans of Dinty Moore beef stew pour into 9x13 pan. Prepare instant mashed potatoes and spread on top. Bake at 350 for 20 mins. HA HA! HA! We laughed for a good 15-20 mins straight after I stopped long enough to tell him why I was laughing! 

Anyway, Darryl thought the Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo was pretty good and I know I thought: YUMM! YUMM!  So here you go here's the recipe or you can click on the "this" link near the top of the page. 

Skinny Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo

3 boneless skinless chicken breast grilled and cut into chunks ( about 2 cups)
2 cups roasted broccoli florets (i didn't roast mine, I steamed them)
8 ounces fettuccine (changed this one too...I used rotini)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup plain FAGE Total 0% Greek yogurt
1/4 cup skim milk
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pinch nutmeg
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic is golden, 1 to 2 minutes.

Whisk in the flour until smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, Greek yogurt, milk, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly.
Lower the heat and simmer, stirring gently, until the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes.

Stir in 3/4 cup Parmesan.

Add cooked chicken and broccoli to sauce mixture, followed by the cooked pasta. Toss to combine and serve with more Parmesan, if desired.


Well I hope if you decide to try this pintrest recipe out you like it as much as WE did! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment